At Kidsgrove Secondary School, we are committed to ensuring equality of education and opportunity for all students, staff, parents and carers receiving services from within school, irrespective of race, gender, disability, faith or religion or socio-economic background. Everyone is treated equally and fairly, we believe that diversity is a strength, which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit here.
We welcome our duties under the Equality Act 2010. The general duties are to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Advance equality of opportunity.
- Foster good relations.
The Equality Act 2010 harmonises and streamlines legislation that has come before it. The Act refers to protected characteristics:
- Age (for employees not for service provision)
- Sex (including issues of transgender)
- Gender reassignment
- Maternity and pregnancy
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and civil partnership (for employees)
Our Equality Objectives 2020-21
- To ensure that the environment and support for all pupils including disadvantaged and those with SEND to make highly effective progress and that both disadvantaged and SEND pupils acquire the knowledge and cultural capital that they need to succeed in life. (See SEND policy) (RAP 3.1) To tackle prejudice and promote understanding in relation to pupils with disabilities.
- To continue to enforce the whole school approach of zero tolerance to bullying, including prejudice-based bullying.
- To ensure that high quality Personal Development provision is in place which enhances the curriculum and enriches students’ wider understanding of diversity and sexuality.
View our Equalities Policy here.
View Shaw Education Trust's Equality Objectives here.